Sometimes we need to move data between two Windows RDP servers which can have many reasons. In this tutorial, we will check the best way to do this. If the volume of the data that you want to transfer is not more than some Mbs, you can easily copy and paste the data. But if it is more than some Mbs, the best and fastest way is to use IIS because the high volume files cannot be moved by copy and pasting.
As the RDP servers have a fast and good amount of bandwidth, the data will be moved as fast as possible in the way that we will explain in this tutorial.
In this way, the IIS role should be installed on the RDP in which the data is stored in it. When installing IIS, it will create a folder by the name wwwroot. Stay with us to see how to use IIS to move data between two RDPs.
How To Check If IIS Is Installed Or Not
There are two ways to check if IIS is installed or not. We can check it through the RUN page or through Folders inside the drive that the operating has been installed on.
To check through RUN, press Windows Key + R and once the run page was opened, type inetmgr and press Enter.
If a page opened as below, it means that IIS is installed on your RDP.
By default, some providers install IIS on the RDPs with Windows Server operating systems.
To check that IIS is installed or not through the folders, open the drive in which the operating system is installed on it, and search for the folder inetpub. If you could see this folder, it means the IIS installed.
How To Install IIS To Move Data
- In the last step, if you found that the IIS is installed, you can easily forget this step and go to the next step. To install IIS, open the Server Manager, and choose Add Roles And Features.
- Click Next on the new page.
- In this step, select Role-based installation and click Next.
- On the new page, we need to select the server on which we want to install IIS.
- After selecting, click Next.
- Pass the steps to see the Server Role section. In this section, tik the IIS checkbox and click next. By checking the box, a window will open where we will click Add Features without any changes.
- Now pass the steps to see the Role Services step. we need to select the roles we want to install on IIS in this section. Select the FTP Server or other items you are interested in.
- In the next step, you will be shown a summary of the settings you have selected. Now click Install.
- Installation begins, be patient until the process is complete.
How To Use IIS To Move Data between Two RDP
First, you have two move your data to the drive in which the operating system is installed on. In the mentioned drive, the data should be moved to the wwwroot folder which is inside inetpub folder.
Once you copied the data to the mentioned folder, it is better to zip the data into one folder.
Now in the RDP that you want to move the data to, open the browser and type the IP of the server and the name of the zip file.
Note: In our tutorial, the IP is 192.168.10.50 and the file name is datafiles.zip.
So you should type the below in your browser as the IP of and data file that we used in this tutorial and you should put the IP of the first RDP in which the data is stored and the name of the zip file that you have created.
Now if you press the enter, the file will start to be downloaded fastly.
In this way, we could easily move data between two Windows RDP servers. In case you need Windows RDP, here you can find the plans:
I hope you have enjoyed this post and found it useful. Please do not hesitate to share your opinions with us.